My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

1/20/08

Welcome to the Masquerade

Have you ever married off a child? I have, thank G-d. But the affair (I don't mean that of the couple) was a huge masquerade party. The first concern, after the food, was "What will all the women in the family wear?"

We were careful not to let our anxiety about clothes, hair, makeup and shoes dim our pleasure at seeing these two young people make the ultimate commitment. But it was a close call.

Months before the wedding night we were canvassing the city and beyond for the right dress. The men had no problem; they bought a new suit - or just a tie - and were done. If it weren't so serious it would be downright funny!

Of course I found a gown. It was too long and needed to be fixed by a dressmaker. Done. But when the day of the wedding arrived, I stepped on the hem and an hour before the photographer arrived I was busy hitching up the bottom with safety pins (I didn't have thread on me).

Everyone ended up looking and feeling great. It was a night to remember. May we take off our masks now?

1 Comments:

  • GREAT post. Making a wedding is like making a production, in a way. What to wear, the music, the food, the guests, the place cards, the band...My husband and I dream that my girls will get married in our lovely back yard and then we will have a big barbeque! So much fuss and expense for an event that lasts for four hours, ridiculous! Really not my cup of tea. Mazal tov to you and your fellow masqueraders!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, January 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home