My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

5/11/09

If Your Pediatrician Ignores You

When my children were small their pediatrician was an older man who seemed knowledgeable and experienced. He had one drawback; he didn't listen.

Being young and inexperienced, I didn't know that a physician should listen to his patient's mother.

As the years passed, I began to trust myself more and, when this pediatrician retired, sought someone who would indeed value my opinion. I joined a group led by an older pediatrician who loved to tell jokes; I was careful to make appointments with the younger physicians as much as possible. They seemed to listen better.

Patients and their advocates are now rocking the boat, and physicians are learning to listen or else they may get slapped with a lawsuit if, G-d forbid, the patient suffers unforeseen consequences.

Furthermore, many illness are now being identified at younger ages, including autism, diabetes and even kidney stones. Thus we need people who know their children best to recognize the signs of a child not feeling well.

That's parents, not pediatricians.

As one professor states, parents need to trust their instincts. In his words, "If the doctor ignores your concerns, seek a second opinion."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home