My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

9/22/09

Wellness Step #1: Resolution

I woke up hungry this morning and looked forward to breakfast. I thought about a topping I could add to my cereal, one that might add sugar and calories but would be enjoyable and a change from the usual.

At the same time, I was feeling frustrated. Once again I had overslept. I had awakened before the alarm but, rather than get out of bed, I waited for the alarm. Then, when the alarm rang, I snoozed it and promptly fell back to sleep!

This is my battle. I have thought about this battle for a long time and have moved through Prochaska's stages of change until I reached this point.

I now recognize that when I have a responsibility to others I wake up and arise without a problem; I am rarely late for appointments. But I ignore the clock when the responsibility is only to me. I forego my desire to practice what I preach - to take time for myself first thing in the morning - and close that precious window.

I've always been a "night person" which means that growing up I stayed up and rose late the next morning whenever possible. It's been a challenge to overcome these adolescent habits when I am the only one to suffer from them.

Suddenly, I thought of a way to hold myself accountable: I would use my breakfast as an incentive! No, I wouldn't sacrifice my nutrition but I would use the topping that I enjoyed so much as a simple yet clear reward for my awakening before or when the alarm rang: If I snooze the alarm or sleep, I suffer the consequence!

I know at first glance this matter seems trivial. Yet it is a template for many other battles that women fight to prioritize our wellness, empower ourselves to accept the challenge and equip ourselves with the tools to succeed.

This is Day #1 of my new wellness program, the date of my resolution to change. Tomorrow will be Day #1 for getting up on time.

Question: What do you want to change? What will help you move closer to your goal?

2 Comments:

  • So did you get up on time today? I really like the idea of using simple rewards as a motivational technique.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, September 23, 2009  

  • I'd like to be more physically active in general, and I think rather than make large goals that are a long way from what I currently do, I'm going to make smaller goals.

    So for instance, since I've fallen out of the habit of strength training, I'll aim for doing 10 minutes of it, two times a week. Then I'll move up to three times a week, then 15 minutes, etc. until I have sneakily created a new habit!

    By Anonymous Heather Mundell, at Wednesday, September 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home