My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

9/24/09

Wellness Step #3: Action

I was awakened by the radio this morning. I slowly opened my eyes and was about to shut it off as usual, turn over and go back to sleep. Suddenly I remembered: I have to sit up before turning it off. Okay. I'll try it.

Amazing! It really made a difference to change from a horizontal to vertical position. When I sat up my body naturally straightened, my feet landed on the floor and my eyes opened wide to look around. My mental set changed from night to day. The weather report entered my consciousness, not as a lullaby but as comprehensible information. After hearing enough, I turned off both the radio and buzzer without laying back down. I was up. My first successful awakening in years.

Part 1 of my plan worked. By changing my physical movement I changed the context of my awakening. I was not fighting off sleep while I lie on my pillow and listened to the radio. Without realizing it, I had already begun my morning routine by sitting up in bed before shutting off the radio alarm.

Part 2 of the plan was definitely helpful. I didn't need to report to anyone in particular; unexpectedly, the knowledge that I'd be blogging about my success or failure - that I was publicly accountable - drove me to succeed with my plan.

We tend to keep our goals private. We strive to change our behaviors, e.g., eating and sleep habits, drinking, smoking, exercise or general lifestyle behaviors without telling anyone. Yet, the most successful changers are the ones who do share their goals and their successes/setbacks with others. Opening up to the world impels one to take on the challenge because we don't want to disappoint other people. Like the children we once were, we avoid shame and seek approval.

Lastly, I went to sleep earlier last night than in previous nights, although it was not easy to call it quits. Doing so meant that I had stopped questioning the importance of my goal but took it seriously. I truly wanted to succeed. I accepted responsibility for my own welfare.

Tomorrow is another day. I wonder how it will begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home