My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

8/2/06

Teaching a Teenager to Drive

Many parents shy away from teaching their teen to drive. My daughter took the Drivers' Education Course but then needed many hours of practice before being ready to take the driving test. Who would teach her?

Interestingly, my daughter asked me to drive with her. It was tricky; the mother/daughter relationship is a balancing act at all times and I try to make our trips comfortable and pleasant for both of us. How would teaching her to drive fit into that template?

I was really nervous the first couple of times. How I wished for that second brake that drivers' ed teachers use! "Watch out!" "Slow down." "You're into the other lane." These were the nervous exclamations in-between instructions about making turns and using the mirrors.

But we survived. Then I needed to learn to back off, grit my teeth and try to relax. I began to take along a drink (non-alcoholic) and to enjoy being my daughter's passenger. Above all, I had to refrain from repeating instructions; she hated that. After all, she's not a child!

My daughter's driving test is coming up soon. It's not the first time she's taking it; several of my children have taken it more than once. And I'm not as disappointed as they are when they fail. I want them to make mistakes before, not after, they get their license.

But there's no guarantee. All of us make mistakes and the less experienced moreso than the more experienced drivers. It's difficult to know what to allow them to do, where, when and with whom. The balancing act between supervision and overprotectiveness is never more important than when our children get behind the wheel.

Good luck to all parents of teen drivers!

1 Comments:

  • I am in the same boat as you, and I think there are some new grey hairs under my wig!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home