My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

6/8/06

Balance

I admire the way some people are able to balance all aspects of their lives. Culturally, many women have been taught that our family or other loved ones come "first." The problem is, we may never get to "second!"

Finding the right balance means putting ourselves within the category of "other people," i.e., examining our needs as if they were someone else's and then meeting those needs as assiduously as we would others.

This does not mean eschewing responsibility. On the contrary, it means taking responsibility for ourselves and not waiting for someone else to do it for us.

Practically, taking care of ourselves may entail getting up earlier or becoming more organized; letting go of half of the things on our lists; and developing better communication skills with our husbands in order to garner support.

The benefits far outweigh the costs.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Dr.Mona,
    My mother always taught me "take care of yourself, because noone else will!!"
    One goal that I have started to to try to make shidduchim, it is so satisfying for me to see that people so appreciate being thought of, even if it's not for them. I also have made some close friends in my neighborhood, which really adds to my life. Sometimes I start a goal and go through the hurdles, but that is part of the challenge, to keep going and keep trying, even if I fail at first. Good shabbos, one of your admirers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home