My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

12/18/08

Are you glad when the teacher calls?

Act I, Scene 1

The teacher called and said, "Your child is acting up. He hits, he bites, he does not listen. There must be something wrong. You must investigate."

The teacher called and said, "Your child does not attend. She plays with things inside her desk, forgets her homework, and doesn't know the place. There must be something wrong. You must investigate."

The teacher called, now do I listen? I'll talk to him. I'll lecture her. I'll take away their computer time. We must do something because the teacher called.


Act I, Scene 2

The principal called, "You had better come in," she said. "We must discuss your son/your daughter. There's something wrong, it's been going on all year and we've tried everything. We need to talk about next year. It may be time to consider another place."

How can this be? Why didn't they let me know? My child's so perfect at home, well maybe not all the time, but it's not as bad as they say.

Act II Scene 1

I took my child for testing and tried to understand. Is this all my fault? Have I done something wrong or didn't do enough, and will be judged as a parent failed?

I'll have to find someone to trust, someone who understands. I'll try my best and will not rest until I have this problem in hand.

Act II Scene 2

Some years have passed and we've had good times and bad. My child is not perfect and neither are we. But we've learned a lot and when I look back, I can say that I'm glad the teacher called.

1 Comments:

  • Many times, the teacher would call and I would ask if they spoke to my son/daughter about the problem. It was always the same answer, NO. I would then ask the teacher to talk to my child, of course trying to offer all I could to help remedy the situation. But I always asked if they could speak with the kid as well. Not just pick up the phone and call me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, December 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home