My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

1/25/09

I forgot

I forgot to pack my sneakers. I didn't want to wear them traveling because I'd have to untie and tie them going through airport security. So I decided to pack them, set them aside to do so and then automatically put them back in the closet!

"What's the big deal?", you ask. "You can manage without them and, if not, you can always buy another pair."

True, but this is a recurring problem. I go to the store with my forgotten shopping list left on the kitchen table. I forget where I put the keys and my glasses. I forget what my husband asked me to do as soon as I put down the phone. I even forget why I've gone upstairs when I reach the top and have to go back down again to remember!

Knowing my forgetfulness, I take certain precautions. I make sure that I have my keys in my hand before closing the door of the house or the car. I check to make sure I've turned off the gas on the stove. And I have more than one pair of glasses.

So I live with a certain amount of forgetfulness. I console myself that I remember the most important things and hope that I won't make any serious mistakes.

I keep at bay the monster fear of dementia and Alzheimer's. I focus on the blessing of forgetting things that I do not want to remember; conflicts, automobile tickets, social gaffes...

I forgot the rest.

2 Comments:

  • Sleep and water and good nutrition help. I get more forgetful when I'm sleep deprived (nursing in bed like the above article)... or when I forget to keep drinking or miss my vitamins too many days in a row. Today (one of those days), I was so proud of myself for trying to be Super Mom and picking up the right color paint and sand at the arts and crafts store for my son, even though I had a client waiting for my work, the baby in tow, and it was snowing heavily. When I reached the counter with the coveted items, low and behold, I had no wallet in my pocket. It was still at home on my desk, from when I needed to purchase something online earlier in the day. I felt like such an un-super mom. They held the bag for me. But what a waste of time! Makes me try to drink more, sleep more, and take my vites. PS. Later on, my son got to expand his independence when we all waited in the car for him to go in, pick up the bag, and pay cash for the items. :) Super Mom again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, February 03, 2009  

  • Dear Super Mom,

    It's wonderful that you handle the mishaps with a sense of humor and celebrate the successes.

    Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger Dr. Spiegel, at Wednesday, February 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home