My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

6/14/06

Checking Out Hypotheses

The sun is shining outside. I know that as a fact because I see it through my window. I trust my senses. Are my thoughts similarly "facts" that can be proven and known by others?

No. We may automatically assume that what we think is true and as provable as the information that we glean through our senses. However, our thoughts are not facts. They are the results of a cognitive process that filters incoming information. This filter in turn is affected by our physical state, emotions, and memory.

So view your thoughts as hypotheses that need to be checked out and verified. Just because you think it doesn't mean it's true.

3 Comments:

  • What do you think about the situation with girls getting into yeshivah high school in Rockland County? I am totally disgusted, every year girls are left without a school! Sometimes I wonder why I became religious.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, June 14, 2006  

  • Regarding the reaction of the writer to the issue of girls getting accepted to HS, there is a very interesting article by Rabbi Wein which discusses the question "If Torah is all that it is supposed to be, then why are there many Jews who are observant but are otherwise immoral, bad people?". The article can be read at Torah works only if....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, June 15, 2006  

  • Very good article, thanks, I loved it, and I forwarded this to all my friends who feel disappointed as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, June 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home