My Family Coach: Women Discuss Life, Relationships & Parenting

12/21/08

Watch out when you're given something for "free"

We recently acquired a faster internet system in the house for my husband's work. It included a free 6-month subscription to movies. We didn't ask for it; it came with the system.

How could we say, "No?"

I grew up watching television and always enjoyed the movies. I remember - dare I admit it? - doing homework in front of the television. Sunday was a day when I could watch two movies instead of one!

When I married, my husband and I decided not to have a television. We did not want to raise children who would be glued to the TV as I was. That first year of marriage I experienced withdrawal every evening without a TV.

Now, with my children out-of-the-house and the computer available for my private use, I could once again indulge in watching movies.

So I downloaded and opened up the program to see what it offered. After weeding through the pop-ups, I found that I could select movies based on their ratings (G, PG, etc.). In addition, there was an interesting selection of old movies.

Now I had the ability to watch movies at my computer without any bother. What an easy form of entertainment. And it was totally free!

Or was it?

Every night I thought about watching a movie. I knew that it was a waste of time; I'd enjoy reading or writing far more. But I was tempted nevertheless to watch it because it was available and free.

I toyed with this idea for a whole week, finding that I was too busy to take the 1 1/2 or 2 hours out for movie-watching.

Ironically, I even felt guilty for not taking advantage of this free service!

After two weeks, I had enough.

I uninstalled the program.

What a blessing.

Now I know why I'm at the computer. Now I have the unbiased choice of doing what I want, without this free offer staring at me.

I've avoided the hook. I'm swimming free.

2 Comments:

  • Last year, my husband got a treadmill and installed a moniter with a DVD player so he wouldn't get bored while working out. Of course I would never sit down and watch a movie, but while I am working out anyway, why not? Get to satisfy two needs at the same time! He pays for the DVD's but netflix is easy and cheap enough. Worth considering!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, December 21, 2008  

  • Great post. I too have felt obligated to use something just because it's there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, December 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home